I recently heard this statement “Raise your Gaze” from Mel Robbins. I literally didn’t hear any more of the reel that played on Instagram as it seemed to move on of it’s own accord, but those words seemed to rumble around in my mind for days to come.
What did it mean? How could it be interpreted? What was my perception of these three simple words?
I could have just gone and found the reel of course, but then, what fun would that be for my curious and creative mind.
So here are my thoughts on it.
RAISE YOUR GAZE - for Confidence!
- Have you ever noticed how your body language changes when you don’t feel confident. Chance are, you probably haven’t, but maybe now you will with the awareness of that question. I noticed it recently at a Networking event. As is the case with most of these events, guests are asked to speak for a couple of minutes about who they are and what they do. With a quick scan of the room, you can see who feels comfortable with this task, confident in what they are about to say, and those that don’t.
- Changing your body language CAN change how you feel. Even though you may not FEEL confident, raising your gazem lifting your head, and maintaining eye contact as you scan from person to person, can actually INCREASE your confidence slightly. So next time you feel your head dropping, uncomfortable at a task or thing you are about to do, be mindful of the impact of lifting your head up, taking a deep breath, and going for it anyway.
RAISE YOUR GAZE - for drive and attitude!
- Ever noticed when someone tells you that you can’t do something and that little “hurrumph” takes over with a “I’ll show you!” type of attitude. Whenever I have noticed this being discussed by clients, when their friends, families, or colleagues have been the one to dampen the mood, I always have a little smile seeing their body language change. You can instantly see in their physical make-up the sheer determination to succeed at all costs. Their head tilts back, their shoulders back and down, their arms and fists pumped literally all ready to move forward in the direction they want to go.
- Well, Raise your gaze can do this too! It shifts your drive and attitude to one of determination and belief. So if you are struggling to gain that bit of va va voom, consider raising your gaze ABOVE the level oft hose who think you “cannot” and go do it anyway!
RAISE YOUR GAZE - for clarity!
- Many clients come to me with their head in the sand. They feel stuck, frustrated and unable to take a step forward because the volume of overthinking is as loud as a base line on any dance chart. They are so focused on the one problem in front of them, that they cannot see beyond the sand.
- Literally look up! It never ceases to amaze me how many hours people spend looking down at the ground, or more precisely, down at their phones. Think of how much you are missing - how many opportunities and, especially, how many solutions. Get yourself out in nature. Take a walk and lift your head up. Look around and bring all of your senses into play. You will be amazed at how the creativity of the mind opens up and starts to see beyond the stuckness.
As for what “Raise your Gaze” ACTUALLY meant - well, I did go back and watch the reel after I wrote this blog - ultimately, its a bit of all of what I said above - in that by doing so, we see the bigger picture! So, I guess you could just call me Mel Robbins Part II :)
Go check it out if you want: https://www.instagram.com/p/CjXot-ionEN/?hl=en
Have a great one and LIFT THAT HEAD UP!
You Got This!